Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 28: Sick Day

I wasn't able to go to the lab today because I offered to stay at home to help my brother, who is at home sick. So I won't be able to attend today's Journal Club meeting.

For today, I've been working more on my abstract. Since the deadline is coming up quickly, I don't have time to finish my article before writing the abstract, so hopefully my abstract will turn out well. I have everything I want to say, but putting it all together elegantly is challenging.

What exactly do I do in this project? You've seen me post about TMS research, data analysis, and...that's basically it. The actually experiment tries to see if there's a difference in excitability of the finger muscles when planning to position the fingers (P) vs. planning to position the fingers and apply a force (P+F). To do this, TMS is used to stimulate the motor cortex and the EMG records the amount of muscle activity from that stimulation. The EMG also records the actual movement of the muscle that takes place approximate 500 ms after the Go cue (Day 25), but we only need the data of the muscle activity while planning for the movement. The objective is to better understand the relationship between the brain and the movement of the fingers. I hope to put something like this paragraph as my abstract.

In addition to working on the abstract, I've been analyzing the data more, hopefully creating decipherable, more simplified graphs. The graphs I made previously involve the 4 muscles we put electrodes on: FDI, APB, ADM, and FCR. 


But for this project, I only need to look at FDI and APB because the fingers associated to these muscles are the index finger and thumb, which act directly on the object during experiments.








So not much is happening today. Maybe I'll bake something with all this free time! Hopefully though, I'll be able to show more on my next blog post or in my final product and presentation!

No comments:

Post a Comment